Organized in 1903, College Mennonite Church began as a response to the needs of the faculty and students at Goshen College. Financial and administrative difficulties at Goshen College, as well as strained conference-college relations, led to a painful dissolution and re-formation of College Mennonite Church in 1924. From the 1920s into the early 1950s congregational leaders were also leaders in college administration. In 1955 John Mosemann, who had been working for both CMC and GC, became the congregation's first full-time minister. Until 1960, when its membership approached 700, CMC had no separate meeting facility and met in college facilities. The current church building (expanded by the congregation in 1993) provides space for congregational and college activities as well as housing a public school kindergarten class and a daycare center supported by both the college and the church.